What support and services are there? 

There are various organisations, support services and health professionals who can support your mental health during pregnancy and after having a baby. This page has information about the main options. 

These may include general health and pregnancy support services like: 

  • your family doctor 
  • family health clinics  (where you can see specialist doctors such as a an obstetrician/gynecologist) 
  • hospitals, and maternity units

If you want to find out about the treatment options for a specific mental health diagnosis, see our pages on: 

  • perinatal depression 
  • perinatal anxiety 
  • perinatal OCD 
  • postnatal PTSD 
  • postpartum psychosis 

“Getting the right support at the right time is so important. If you reach out and don’t get heard the first time, keep trying.” 

General health and pregnancy support 

Your family doctor / GP 

You can always talk to your doctor about your mental health. They can discuss your options for treatment and support, refer you to services and prescribe medication. 

See our page on talking to your doctor if you are worried about having this conversation. 

Antenatal care 

You are likely to be in contact with several different health professionals while you are pregnant. At some point, they should ask you about your mental health and how you’re feeling during pregnancy. If they don’t ask, you can always bring up any concerns you have. 

Specialist services 

Perinatal mental health services 

There may be specialist mental health services in the area where you live for anyone who is pregnant or has recently given birth. They include teams of specialist nurses and doctors, as well as specialist hospital wards. If you’ve had certain mental health problems in the past, you may be put in contact with a specialist mental health professional throughout your pregnancy. This could include a past diagnosis of bipolar disorder or experience of psychosis. The specialist mental health professional  can check how you’re doing, assess your medication and plan your birth. 

Unfortunately some of these specialist services aren’t available in Hong Kong and accessing them can be difficult. You can contact your family doctor/GP or antenatal care provider about perinatal mental health support available in your area. 

Voluntary organisations and charities 

See our useful contacts page for details of other organisations who may be able to help. This includes organisations who can help if you have a specific mental health diagnosis. 

“It is okay to admit you’re not perfect and need help. Most people will be glad to hear your experience so they can either get the courage to open up or take comfort that they are not alone.” 

What if I don’t get the support that I need? 

The symptoms of perinatal mental health problems can change a lot from day to day. It might be hard for health professionals, like your doctor or midwife, to understand what you’re experiencing and offer the right support for you. 

If you don’t feel like you’re getting the help and support you need, you can bring this up with a health professional. See our pages on how to talk to your doctor for more advice. 

You may also need to ask a few times to get the support you need. This can be difficult when you’re struggling with your mental health. You can ask someone you trust to support you in seeking help, or you might want the support of an advocate. 

Or you might worry that asking for help for your mental health might mean your child is taken away from you. It is very rare for parents to be separated from their children for this reason. And there is lots of support available to help you make sure that this doesn’t need to happen.

Previous page Next page