Finding your social support

Source of social support

A lot of people will turn to their friends and family when they are stressed. Some companies also offer Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support employee wellbeing. If you need support for your workload, you may also discuss this with your manager, or the HR department, to see what help is available and what changes can be made.

Sharing your struggle

If you are experiencing emotional distress or a mental health problem, you may want to talk to someone about how you feel. Some people may be concerned about opening up with their parents because they don’t want their parents to be worried. If you don’t feel comfortable discussing this with your family, you may consider talking to people you trust. There are also online mental health support platforms that allow you to talk to someone anonymously:


OpenUp: available in Chinese and English for individuals aged between 11-35, 24-hour
WhatsApp/SMS: 91 012 012
Facebook/ Instagram/ Wechat: hkopenup 

Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong Chatpoint: Chinese only
IOS/ Android mobile application: Chat窿

uTouch: available in Chinese
Whatsapp: 6277 8899
Online counselling:
Instagram: utouch_hkfyg


If you are experiencing a mental health problem and would like to seek professional help, help is available. There are free/ subsidised mental health services provided by local NGOs available.  You may also visit your closest Integrated Community Centre for Mental Wellbeing (ICCMW) to look for mental health support. It is okay to take leave if you feel unwell – sickness absence for your mental health is just as valid as absence for physical health problems.

Mental health support at work:

Previous page