What treatments can help? 

How can I access treatment? 

Most people who get the right treatment see a significant improvement in their OCD. The first step to getting treatment for OCD is to visit your GP. Your GP will ask about your symptoms and discuss different treatment options. 

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) – the organisation that produces guidelines on best practice in health care – suggests that treatment for OCD should include talking treatments and medication. You can read the full guidelines and recommendations here. 

The combination of treatments you are offered depends on how severe your OCD is, and what treatments have worked or not in the past. If you feel a treatment isn’t working for you, it’s a good idea to discuss this with your GP, as there may be other alternatives available. 

I’m worried about talking to my doctor 

You might feel scared about telling anyone, even a doctor, about how graphic or distressing your obsessive thoughts can be. You may be ashamed of your obsessions or worry that the doctor might report you to the police or social services. Or you may find it hard to admit how much time your compulsions take up. 

These feelings can make it difficult to get the right help. But the type of treatment you are given depends on the intensity of your OCD and how much it affects your life, so the more honest you are, the more likely you are to get the best help for you. 

You can read more about talking to a GP here. 

What talking therapies might I be offered? 

You may be offered the following talking therapies for OCD, either on their own, or along with medication. 

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) 

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) focuses on how your thoughts, beliefs and attitudes affect your feelings and behaviour. You can read more about CBT here. 

Exposure and response prevention (ERP) 

Exposure and response prevention (ERP) is specifically designed for OCD. It encourages you to confront your obsessions and resist the urge to carry out compulsions. 

During ERP, your therapist will support you to deliberately put yourself in a situation that would usually make you feel anxious. Instead of performing your usual compulsion, you will be encouraged to try and tolerate the anxiety. 

ERP helps you to see that the uncomfortable feelings will eventually go away even if you don’t perform a compulsion. 

This type of therapy can be challenging and may make you feel more anxious at first. It’s a good idea to talk to a health care professional before you start about what it involves, and whether you are in a good place to start it. 

“I started to learn how to manage my OCD when I spoke to a therapist.” 

Cognitive therapy 

Cognitive therapy focuses on identifying and changing negative feelings about yourself, to help you change unhelpful responses and behaviours. 

Seeking therapy privately 

You can read more about seeking private therapy here

What medication might I be offered? 

You may be offered the following medications for OCD, either on their own or alongside talking therapy: 

  • selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) – a type of antidepressant that has also been shown to be effective in treating OCD 
  • clomipramine – a tricyclic antidepressant, which you may be offered if an SSRI doesn’t work. 

You can read more about these antidepressants here

Different people find different medications helpful. You can talk to your doctor about your options – you might find you need to try out a few different types of medication before you find one that works for you. 

“I’ve been on meds for the last three years and my OCD is so much more controllable.”

Might I be offered social care support? 

Depending on how your OCD impacts your life, you may be eligible for social care. Social care services support people who struggle to manage day-to-day activities. You can contact the Social Welfare Department (2343-2255) or visit their website to learn more. 

Specialist OCD services 

If your OCD is very severe and the above treatment options have not helped, you may be referred to a specialist OCD service. Unfortunately, not all areas have specialist services and you might have to travel outside your local area. 

Previous page Next page