What help is available?

If your anger is associated with a mental health condition or diagnosis, this is something that you might discuss with your doctor or one of the mental health professionals involved in your treatment or care.

The types of help described below are available to people with or without a mental health condition or diagnosis.

Talking treatments

“I was shouting at my daughter and could not stop. It was like I was standing outside of myself watching myself yelling at her and I was completely unable to calm myself down. I tried bottling everything up, and I tried just letting it all go… neither helped, I was always ashamed of being angry. Since talking with my therapist I have realised that anger is part of life, and it is ok to be angry, just not ok to be out of control.”

Talking treatments are usually some form of counselling or psychotherapy. A counsellor or psychotherapist can help you explore the causes of your anger. Talking to them will help you work through your feelings and monitor and improve your responses to situations that make you angry. Counselling tends to look at current problems, while psychotherapy tends to go deeper into past experiences.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a particularly practical approach to dealing with your thoughts, feelings and behaviour. It focuses on how you think about the things going on in your life and how this affects the way you behave and deal with emotional problems. It then looks at how you can change any patterns of thinking or behaviour that may be causing you difficulties.

If you can afford it, you can also look for a therapist privately using one of the organisations listed in ‘Useful contacts’.

Anger management programmes

Anger management programmes often involve working in a group, but may involve one-to-one sessions. They may use a mixture of counselling and CBT techniques (see above). Also see ‘Useful contacts’.

Domestic violence programmes

If you are violent at home, there are a number of organisations across Hong Kong that run programmes that can help you to change your behaviour. See ‘Useful contacts’.

Previous page Next page