What other support is available?

If you are finding it difficult to cope, you may be offered further support to help. The following Community-based support services are available to help treat paranoia.

Crisis care

Crisis services such as crisis resolution teams and crisis houses can help if you are in crisis. You can also make an emergency appointment with your family doctor or visit A&E and ask to see a psychiatrist.

Social care

Social care can help you carry out day-to-day tasks if you find these difficult. This could include a range of different things, for example, help with managing money or improving relationships, help with transport to attend appointments or services, or help with benefits and housing applications. You can ask your family doctor to refer you to social services, or you can contact them directly to ask for an assessment.

Voluntary services

Charities and voluntary organisations may be able to provide support, such as drop-in sessions, employment services or counselling.

Hospital admission

Inpatient care in psychiatric wards or hospitals is normally only considered if you are unable to cope in your home. You may find that a stay in hospital allows you to get the structured support you need in order to recover from the effects of paranoia. However, if your paranoia is this severe you may feel extremely scared and that you are under considerable threat, which might make going into hospital a difficult experience.

Previous page