Use this checklist to help you identify how you might be able to improve your sleep.
- I have a regular sleep routine.
- The place where I sleep is comfortable.
- I relax properly before trying to sleep.
- I have tried doing other things to relax if I can’t sleep at night.
- I avoid doing stressful activities in the bedroom.
- I catch up on missed sleep in an appropriate way.
- I have a healthy and balanced diet.
- I do some physical activity.
- I get some natural light during the day and sleep in a dark place at night.
- I keep a sleep diary.
- I have tried to resolve any stresses or worries that are affecting my sleep.
- I have tried self-help techniques to recognise and challenge unhelpful thought patterns about sleep.
- I have tried complementary therapies.
- I have talked to my GP to eliminate a physical cause.
- I have tried a talking treatment.
- I have tried medication.
- I have asked for a referral to a sleep clinic.